Introduction to fundamental ideas and techniques of probability theory and
statistical inference. Prerequisites: Ma 1abc.
- Properties of probability
- Independence and conditional probability
- Random variables, Distributions, and densities
- Important Distributions
- Normal Poisson approximations
- Estimation of unknown parameter values
- Testing Statistical Hypotheses
- Confidence Intervals
- Linear Regression
- Pitman, "Probability" Springer Verlag.
- Moore and McCabe, "Introduction to the
Practice of Statistics (fourth edition)"
W.H. Freeman. (required)
- Rice, "Mathematical Statistics
and Data Analysis" Duxbury Press. (optional)
Office: 253 Sloan, 626-395-4335
Lead TA: Rebecca Vessenes
Office: 160 Sloan
Office hours: 3-4pm Thursday
Please see TA Info page for other TAs and
- Homework assignments: 40%
There will be about 8 assignments, and your
lowest score will be dropped in the final grade.
Late homeworks will NOT be accepted for grading
(medical emergencies excepted with proof).
Homework will generally be distributed on Mondays
and due in class the following Monday.
Final exam: 30%.
Recitations are held on Thursdays at 10:00am
and 2:00pm. These are the
only section times and cannot be changed.